Ithaca, New York
Ithaca, New York is located in the Finger Lakes region at the base of Cayuga Lake. The city is known for its esteemed educational institutions; Cornell University and Ithaca College, a bustling, pedestrian-oriented downtown shopping area and over 150 waterfalls that have given the city the infamous slogan “Ithaca Is Gorges.” Ithaca is 4 hours from both New York City and Philadelphia, 1 hour from Syracuse and 2 hours from Rochester. Each year, the area welcomes around 500,000 tourists looking to explore the rich culture, fine dining, and outdoor recreation.
Ithaca has received many accolades including recently being named the Emerging Nature Destination of the year (Luxury Travel Guide), the #2 Best Small Collegetown (USA Today), one of the Best Places to Live ( Men’s Journal) and the Healthiest City in New York State (24/7 Wall Street).
As of 2016, the population of Ithaca and the surrounding towns is just over 100,000 with numbers expecting to rise by an estimated 15,000 in the next 8 years. The population is greatly affected by the over 31,000 college students who attend Cornell University, Ithaca College, and Tompkins Community College. The economy in Ithaca is based primarily in educational and health services. Cornell University is the biggest employer in Ithaca followed by Borg-Warner Automotive and the Ithaca City School District.
When visiting Ithaca, be sure to check out the sites below!
- Taughannock Falls– Highest Vertical drop Waterfall in the Northeast
- Ithaca Farmers Market: 150 vendors including local farmers, wineries, restaurants, and merchants meet lakeside on Saturday and Sundays
- Namgyal Monastery: Built on Ithaca’s South Hill, this is the North American seat of the 14th Dalai Lama
- Science Center: Non-Profit hands-on science museum with rotating exhibits
- Museum of the Earth: Natural history museum which hosts exhibits covering 4.5 billion years of history
- Cayuga Nature Center: Educational organization providing environmental education to youth
- Hangar Theater: Once a municipal airport hangar, the space now hosts series of shows with local talent and traveling companies.
- Festivals: Ithaca loves a good festival! Check out visitithaca.com for more information on local festivals, live music, and other happenings.